Most of the country keeps their doors and windows closed during the winter, making the inside of your home more polluted than the air outside. In the south, we have the problem in reverse. Some of the more minor complaints from an improperly ventilated home, or one with water damage or mold damage, is an environment where occupants suffer with nose, throat and eye irritation, nausea and dizziness. The scenario can significantly worsen quickly, blossoming into fatigue, abdominal and respiratory issues, diarrhea, and sometimes even cancer.

Question: What are the sources of these harmful pollutants in your home?

  1. Moisture: The number one source of these complaints comes from water damage that is not properly nor completely dried. Some people do not even realize they have suffered a water loss when they have one. Water damage can be caused by all of the following:
  • pipe burst
  • dishwasher supply line rupture
  • washing machine overflow
  • washing machine supply line rupture
  • water heater leak
  • slab leak
  • tub overflow
  • air conditioner overflow
  • roof leak
  • sprinkler head spraying into home

Homeowners need to be aware that insurance companies will cover these losses and actually require that they be immediately extracted/dried to keep the policy in place and coverage assured.

While self-reliance is a wonderful quality to possess, there is no possible way that a person can properly dry a water loss in a structure without expert assistance. Lacking the right equipment and training, you will only create a HUGE mold claim that your insurance company will likely fight you on or deny outright. A professional water damage firm is set up handle not only the drying of wet environments, but to also protect you during the claim processes. You may want to read our article entitled “What Insurance Companies Want or Know – Who Your Contractor REALLY Works For”. This is to acquaint you with the processes and pitfalls that exist within the claim process.

  1. Pesticides: We all use pesticides to keep the bugs out, but the fumes can follow you indoors. Use pesticides according to the directions and don’t keep the containers in your home.
  1. Lawn and Garden: No one thinks much about lawn and garden products posing a problem, however, it’s very easy to end up in your house from your clothes and shoes. When using lawn and garden products, wear clothing and shoes that can be removed before you go back inside, and close your windows and doors while spreading the product around your home.
  1. Smoke Particles: Fireplaces and wood stoves release smoke into your home no matter how carefully they are used. Keep your home well-ventilated when using either. If you’ve suffered a fire loss to your home, smoke damage can linger if not removed properly. Hire a disaster restoration specialist that has an on-staff Master Smoke and Fire Restorer to assess and remove any smoke damage due to a house fire. Some of the health risks of fire damage include dizziness, nausea, and at worst, poisoning, cancer and long-term respiratory problems.
  1. Lead and Asbestos: Older homes (those built before 1978) were built with asbestos insulation and lead-based paint. You should know that many of these older homes still have insulation with asbestos and the original paint. In fact, both asbestos and lead are STILL widely used. Only a certified professional (EPA #: NAT34462-1 NextGen Restoration) can identify and properly remove lead and asbestos. In many states, ONLY a professional mitigation firm can legally address these issues. Hire a qualified and certified lead removal specialist to properly remove the lead paint in your home to avoid health issues. Don’t attempt to do this yourself.

Hire a certified & professional restoration specialist when you need to remove toxins from your home and restore your home after water or fire damage. It could make a significant impact on your safety & health.